Started by Zozma at Mar 18, 2021 at 4:06 pm
10 Posts

Zozma

Trash Mammal

Client

37Years Young
41 Posts

I'm back! Are you sick of me yet?

Okay, so now I'm here to ask about switching the default theme on. I've been combing through docs and bugs and I saw something about deleting a default theme but it not switching back to Eros, but I'm having a different issue.

So, my site's theme shows up when you're a guest. But! When registering, the site automatically puts members in Eros Light, even though we've made our theme the default theme. It's easy enough to switch to it when you're on a computer but there's no way to switch if somebody registers on mobile. It's happened to both members who registered so far and also with staff testing. I noticed it did that to me when I registered for Messiah, too. It automatically had me on Eros and I had to manually choose to use the Remember theme.

user posted image user posted image

Arceus

codemancer

Admin

31Years Young
135 Posts

Just because you lost me as a friend, doesn't mean you gained me as an enemy. I'm bigger than that. I still want to see you eat, just not at my table.

On Messiah, it was not set to Remember as default when you registered, it was still on Eros, so that was intentional.

I've never had this problem myself, so two things I can suggest:

1. Make sure your theme is actually set as default, because it sounds like it's not.
  2. Delete all your cookies for your site and then see what it does. Because honestly my best guess right now is your cookie settings aren't matching your board's default settings and it's actually got a completely different issue.

Honey you can't dilute a war crime.

Check out my writing blog! All of my fanfiction and eventually my original stories are published here.
I also have a YouTube channel, where I post Sims videos.

Zozma

Trash Mammal

Client

37Years Young
41 Posts

That makes sense. You were just working on it when I joined, if I recall.

I will give that a try and let you know if it works. :)

Zozma

Trash Mammal

Client

37Years Young
41 Posts

That doesn't seem to be the issue. The theme we're using is actually a third variant added to the Eros theme. Would that be the issue? Because we tried to make a brand new theme but it broke everything.

Arceus

codemancer

Admin

31Years Young
135 Posts

Just because you lost me as a friend, doesn't mean you gained me as an enemy. I'm bigger than that. I still want to see you eat, just not at my table.

Oooh yes. So what you'd do with changing the default variant is go into manage on Eros and then change the default variant with the drop-down.

And what happened when you made a new theme? What steps did you take?

Check out my writing blog! All of my fanfiction and eventually my original stories are published here.

Zozma

Trash Mammal

Client

37Years Young
41 Posts

clicked create theme in theme manager, filled out form, coped default theme into new folder on file system, deleted other variants in css folder of new theme.

This worked but did not get rid of the variants in the 'Change Theme' dropdown. Clicking other now deleted variants caused error that I had to delete the php session to resolve.

^ I had my husband type that since he's the one who did it.

Arceus

codemancer

Admin

31Years Young
135 Posts

-holds head- Alright. I take it your new theme isn't creating itself in the file system? All you need for the new theme is frame.template.php, css folder, images folder, and the css files which are framework.css and index_[nameofvariant].css, naturally in the css folder. You only need to copy over other templates if you want to be able to customise them.

This seems like a file permissions issue, so make sure Apache has read write access to the themes folder. In order to remove variants, you'll need to manually remove them in the database at the moment.

REMEMBER. The theme system in Athens is honestly mostly broken. You may not be able to get it to work, and in which case, sorry, wait for Salerno.

Zozma

Trash Mammal

Client

37Years Young
41 Posts

I do recall you saying that the theme in Athens is a bit of a wrestle to work with. I'll pass the info onto him and see if it works. Thanks!

Zozma

Trash Mammal

Client

37Years Young
41 Posts

All right, where in the database would I find the variants? I feel like a dumb.

Arceus

codemancer

Admin

31Years Young
135 Posts

[prefix]_views_variants