what have you learned from rp?

Started by dragonborn at Apr 10, 2021 at 5:21 pm
5 Posts

dragonborn

we must stop killing each other

Client

29Years Young
2 Posts

That which does not kill me, had better run; because now I'm pissed.

i was thinking about this earlier, and i got interested to know what everyone else thinks are the most meaningful, or important, things they've learned from roleplay. either from running roleplays, participating in the community, or doing wild research because your character did somethin dumb half drunk at 2 am.

for me i think i'd have to go with, mostly i learned that nothing is permanent. even things that feel like they are, they go away someday too. this is both good, and bad.

your turn!

Lenara

Dreamweaver

Admin

27Years Young
13 Posts

I think that's a really interesting take away, and I can definitely agree! 

I've learned, like, a lot over the years. About myself, and about how I interact with people. I've also learned a load of random things just from researching stuff because I needed it for an rp. I've learned about history, because of the boards I've chosen to work on. I've learned entire fandoms explicitly to join a site that I thought was interesting.

But if I was going to pick one thing that I've learned to point at and go, yeah, roleplaying taught me that, it's more and more that RP taught me that no two people are going to see the same situation the same way. And that seems obvious? But putting characters in positions and watching each one go a different way has taught me a lot, and through that sometimes it gives the tools to explain why something happened, or why an event means nothing to one person but is genuinely traumatic to another. 

Roleplay has taught me a lot about perspective because they always say you won't really understand someone until you walk a mile in their shoes - but I've walked many miles with my own characters, and with other people's characters. And it's taught me, at least a little, how to consider angles that do not match the way I come at things naturally. 

Arceus

codemancer

Admin

31Years Young
130 Posts

They don't think that I listen, oh but I know who they are.

You'll never be able to please everyone, and how to do things is so subjective a thing, you're better off doing whatever the hell you want. Sometimes it's hard to remember, but it's persistent enough I have never fully forgotten it.

Check out my writing blog! All of my fanfiction and eventually my original stories are published here.

Kit

Standard

32Years Young
7 Posts

- That I really really dig fungi.

- That I will not feel content/happy without writing in my life.

- By hanging out with enby RPers and chatting, I've thought that I'm probably not very cis and sure seem to have a lot in common with enbys.

Zozma

Trash Mammal

Patron

36Years Young
34 Posts

I learned to grow a backbone. I am not sitting idly by and steaming quietly anymore. If you talk shit, you’re getting confronted. I lived with so much gaslighting in real life and the RPC, that I keep receipts now. If you want to have a go at me, fine. But I have screenshots and logs now. Try me. 

user posted image user posted image